Skip to content

FAQs for Contractors

Regulation 62 of the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 requires electrical workers to report unsafe installations to the relevant network operator. 

If you identify an unsafe installation you should in the first instance, so far as is reasonably practicable, make the installation safe. Grid connected installations within the South West Interconnected Network should be reported to Western Power on 13 10 87.

Emergency situations should be reported via Western Power's 24 hour emergency line on 13 13 51.

Pillars are Western Power assets. Queries regarding location or relocation of such assets should be made by phoning Western Power on 13 10 87 or by sending an email to

Network operator requirements for metering arrangements are outlined within section 11 of the WA Distribution Connections Manual.

The WA Distribution Connections Manual can be downloaded from Western Power's website

Meters must be installed in an accessible location. Installation within a locked garage is not acceptable practice.

Section 11 of the WADCM outlines the requirements for location of meters.

Notifiable work is defined within regulation 51 of the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991. 

For further clarification, refer to EnergySafety bulletin number 67

Under regulation 53A of the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991, network operators may apply a further inspection fee.

Western Power’s Inspection System Plan, agreed in conjunction with EnergySafety, requires that installations with serious defects be reinspected.

As such, where an Inspector identifies a serious defect during the course of an inspection, a reinspection fee is applied.

Reinspection fees are applied after the reinspection has taken place. You will receive an invoice from Western Power with details outlining how payment can be made.

We are unable to accept photographs as proof of this work. Our Inspection System Plan requires that we undertake a reinspection where a serious defect is identified during an inspection.

EnergySafety bulletins can be downloaded from the Department of Commerce website.